Renew your membership or join today!
The activities of the Washington Park Conservancy closely follow the rhythms of the seasons, and we are just gearing up to launch a busy and active 2020, starting with our Annual Meeting later this month. So March is the perfect time to renew your Conservancy membership, or become a member for the first time! Membership in the Conservancy is open to all who want to support our efforts on behalf of this wonderful Albany treasure. When you become a member of the Washington Park Conservancy, you join a community committed to the preservation and improvement of Washington Park today and for generations to come.
This year, the Washington Park Conservancy marks 35 years of dedication to its mission to preserve, protect and promote this historic park. The needs of Washington Park far surpass the public resources available, which is why the Conservancy was founded in 1985 and works with the City of Albany help guide its periodic restoration and maintenance.
Over the years, contributions from Conservancy members have supported a wide range of projects in the Park. In addition to annual tree plantings, highlights of projects in recent years include:
- A two-year restoration of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument
- Restoration of the bridge over Washington Park Lake
- twelve new markers highlighting the history and uses of various sections, elements and now-missing structures in the Park
- support for the skateboard park near Washington Park’s south-west corner
- A new fence at the east end of the Lake
- Treatment of 28 ash trees in the Park against the ravages of the Emerald Ash borer, an invasive beetle originally from Asia which first appeared in Albany in 2014
In our 35th anniversary year, we invite you to join us in supporting our work to protect and enhance Washington Park. Please renew your membership or become a member today! Your membership gift is fully tax-deductible.